Monday, January 22, 2007

Happy First Birthday, Alastair!

Can you believe it's been a year? I woke up this morning and thought about where I was a year ago today. At 7:50 in the morning, after a fairly long labor, I was in a room surrounded by my husband, doctors and nurses hearing the first big old wails from my child and thinking "Man, am I glad that's over." After Alastair was brought over to me, all red faced, screaming, and beautiful, I think the first thing I blurted out was, "Wow, that came out of me?"

Run the clock ahead 12 months and amazingly we have all survived Alastair's first year. While it's not been without utter joy, parenthood has got to be the hardest thing I've ever done. Now, I know Alastair is the Best Baby Ever, but there have been a few times over the past year when I've thought, "Hmmm, is this mom thing really for me?" (More so because of my own shortcomings than anything about the baby.) Every day with Alastair is an exciting challenge-to see what he'll do next and how Amanda can potentially screw up (See the Swan Dive incident.)

Little A seems poised on a precipice of a lot of new, wonderful, and terrifying advancements. I feel like any day now he's going to take off running-not walking, mind you-running. His psuedo-vocabulary is also growing, and it sounds like he is mastering the art of vocal mimicry more and more. Soon he'll be blurting out whole sentences, or probably more likely since he is in the constant care of his Mother, profanities.

Yesterday, we had a small gathering of friends and family at my parent's house for Little A's birthday. As with my New and Improved Life With Baby, I was preoccupied for most of the afternoon attending to Little A, and the party ended up kind of a blur. But I do know that he loved all the attention, got a butt-load of toys and gifts, thoroughly enjoyed his banana cake, and stayed up almost two hours past his usual nap time with minimal crankiness. It was a great celebration and very fitting for Little A. Nature even gave him his first little snowfall.

Today, Adrian stayed home, and we enjoyed some family time together. The ice on the trees and bushes was beautiful and a little magical. This afternoon, we took Little A to SPTC to pick out a spiffy birthday outfit from one of the chic-chic kid's clothing stores there.

Good first birthday indeed.

And Happy Birthday as well to my old high school chum, Ezra. Wherever he is.

No comments:

Blog Archive