Thursday, January 18, 2007

All the leaves are brown and the sky is grey...

All right now, everyone. We can stop fretting about the warm January temperatures. The cold has arrived. I was really starting to get annoyed at all the "Global warming!" reactions to the warm weather. People, this is Ver-GIN-Yah. There's a spell of unseasonably high temperatures every winter. The news media likes to act like it's some big thing every year. Plus, globally speaking, Virginia is a blip. I mean, look at the weather out West. Try and tell those people it's a warmer than average winter. They'd probably smack you upside the head with their well-worn snow shovel.

Only a few days away from Little A's first birthday and the Today show ran an interesting, if not apropos segment on over-the-top birthday parties for children. I so do not want to be those parents that feel the need to throw lavish parties each year for their child. Shoot, I had a lot of reservations about the small gathering my parents are hosting on Sunday. It's just that I don't want to raise Alastair thinking he is the center of the universe. I don't believe that spoiling a child with an endless, escalating cavalcade of toys, parties, activities , etc. is good for the child's heart. The last thing I want for Alastair is for him to grow into a selfish, ego-centric adult because of my over-permissive parenting.

More than anything, I want my child to become a thoughtful, good-natured, polite, kind, generous human being. Less important to me is what sports he plays, what "good" college he goes to, or what career he chooses. As long as his heart is in the right place spiritually-speaking, it doesn't matter as much what "successes" he achieves in this world.

Wow. Must be the cold weather. I'm gettin' all contemplative and shit. Gotta stop that.

No comments:

Blog Archive