Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Cinema Paradiso

This weekend I celebrated the life and works of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. by going to the movies. Twice. Both movies were stellar. I don't know the last time I saw two great flicks back-to-back.

It's been a while since I was a regular moviegoer. I was really surprised to see that the matinee time has changed from shows before 6 pm to shows before 3 pm. WTF? That's like one showing each movie at the matinee rate. The 4 or 5 o'clock showing was our favorite time to see a movie since it was at a cheaper rate and normally do-able after work. Bollocks. Just another way they fuck you at the drive-through.

Saturday afternoon, Adrian and I took in Children of Men. I haven't been so emotionally caught up in a film since Saving Private Ryan. Most of the action sequences in the film are shot in a visceral, documentary style that just about tears your guts out. Plus, without disclosing any major plot points, I closely sympathized with one of the main characters. Very heart-wrenching indeed. The vision of the future presented in the film I consider one of the best and most realistic, which in a way contributed to the strong feelings I felt while watching. Definitely catch it if you can.

Sunday night, Mom and I saw Notes on a Scandal. Fabulous movie. Great script. Exceedingly well-acted. Judi Dench protrayed her unhinged spinster character without hysterionics but with cool malice. Such a great cautionary tale as well about the cost adultery has on a marriage and a family. It should also be required viewing for every woman looking to teach high school. Make her think twice about indulging the cute student with a crush.

Ooooh, American Idol starts tonight. Gotta get TiVo ready.

I've finally joined the rest of the world. Still don't get what all the fuss is about.

No comments:

Blog Archive